By Paul Dickson
Baseball has regularly had its proportion of colourful characters, and through the years they've got expressed themselves in eminently quotable methods. during this treasury of greater than 5,000 quotations, famous baseball author and observer Paul Dickson has captured the flavour of the sport, within the phrases of its most vital individuals and onlookers.
They are all here—from Aaron (Estella, Hank's mom) to Zoldack ("Sad Sack" Sam), and everybody in among. From the avid gamers, sportswriters, and politicians, to famous personalities in different fields (a very different group), all people has his or her say on our nation's hobby. Dickson skillfully selects and annotates each one comment, offering the nice, the undesirable, and the gruesome of baseball lore. incorporated are prolonged classes in Stengelese, Reggiespeak, Earl Weaverisms, and well-known announcers' domestic run calls (who can fail to remember Mel Allen's vintage "Going, going, gone!"?).
These and hundreds of thousands of different pleased, pithy, and remarkable voices from the prior in the course of the ultra-modern are all captured in Baseball's maximum Quotations.
Read or Download Baseball's Greatest Quotations: An Illustrated Treasury of Baseball Quotations and Historical Lore (Revised Edition) PDF
Best baseball books
Jacques Barzun famously prompt, "Whoever desires to be aware of the center and brain of the United States had larger examine baseball . .. " much less famous, although, is the remainder of his admonition: ". .. and do it through staring at first a few highschool and small city groups. "
In this number of essays, readers could event the United States simply as Barzun meant. Taken from this system of the 2006 Walter Prescott Webb Memorial Lectures, Baseball in the United States and the United States in Baseball captures the breadth and unsuspected number of our nationwide fascination and id with America's Game.
Chapters hide such recognized figures as Ty Cobb, and such lesser-known subject matters because the "invisible" baseball performed via jap american citizens in the course of the Nineteen Thirties and Nineteen Forties. A research of baseball in rural California from the Gold Rush to the flip of the twentieth century presents an attractive learn of the methods the sport advanced from its earliest beginnings to anything most up-to-date observers could locate commonly used. Chapters at the Negro League's Baltimore Black Sox, monetary gains of significant league groups from 1900-1956, and American aspirations to a baseball-led cultural hegemony through the first 1/2 the twentieth-century around out this incredible number of sport-history scholarship.
Baseball in the USA and the US in Baseball belongs at the book-shelf of any avid pupil of the sport and its historical past. It additionally offers attention-grabbing glimpses into the sociology of activity in the United States.
Why do comprehensive writers (and grown-ups) like Ron Carlson, Rick Bass, and Michael Chabon (to identify yet some of these represented the following) nonetheless obsess over their baseball days? what's it approximately this eco-friendly online game of suspense that not just strikes us yet may also stream us to flights of lyrical writing? In Scoring from moment: Writers on Baseball a number of the literary lighting of our day solution those questions with essays, recollections, and meditations at the recreation that's America’s video game but additionally a deeply own event for participant, observer, and fan alike.
- Baseball before We Knew It: A Search for the Roots of the Game
- Who Was Babe Ruth?
- Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History
- The American Game: Baseball and Ethnicity (Writing Baseball (Paperback))
Extra resources for Baseball's Greatest Quotations: An Illustrated Treasury of Baseball Quotations and Historical Lore (Revised Edition)
Players should keep their heads down and watch the ball go into their gloves. 3. Each player should step and follow through when throwing a ground ball to the other line. 24 FACE-TO-FACE DRILL Variation Award points for the fewest poor throws. In this situation, teams take turns throwing grounders to the opposing team. RELATED DRILLS 4, 10, 14, 17 �������������������������������������� 25 9 10 GOALIE DRILL PURPOSE To develop positioning and ball-handling skills for keeping a ground ball in front of the body EQUIPMENT A bucket of baseballs, gloves, cones TIME 1 to 2 minutes per person PROCEDURE 1.
4. The fielder should squeeze the ball with the glove when tagging a runner so that the ball does not fall out of the glove. Variation The base runner receives one point for making it safely back to the base he came from and two points for advancing to the next base. The fielders receive one point for tagging the runner out before he reaches either base. RELATED DRILLS 23, 63 ������������������������������������ 55 25 SCREAM DRILL PURPOSE To practice calling off another fielder on a fly ball EQUIPMENT Bucket of balls, gloves TIME 4 to 8 minutes PROCEDURE 1.
4. When the coach yells, “Throw,” the players bounce their balls to their partners, who field them on one hop. 5. Repeat the drill until the predetermined time is up. 6. Next, each player puts his baseball cap approximately three feet in front of him. 7. On the “go” command the players try to hit their partners’ baseball caps with the balls. 8. The ball should arrive after one hop. KEY POINTS Fielding short hops is one of the most difficult concepts for youth players to master. This drill accustoms players to the short hop.